Boating Safety Close to
Boating is a popular activity in the Kapiti Horowhenua district.
- Make sure that you know the height of your aerials and masts above land when towing, and above water when sailing.
- Check any land routes, launching and sailing areas for power lines or warning signs that describe where power lines or cables may be present.
- Take action to avoid higher parts of your boat intruding into an unsafe distance from overhead lines and always heed the information on signs where these are displayed.
- Remember, high voltage electricity can jump to your mast or aerial if they get near enough to a power line which can result in serious burns or death for you or those nearby.
- If a boat mast has brought down the power lines around a car, the safest way to avoid electric shock is for occupants to stay in the car until help arrives.
- They should only try to get away from the car if another urgent matter, such as a fire in the car, forces them to evacuate, they should jump well clear of the vehicle.